Thursday 27 October 2011

The Past. A Visit.

While collecting my various school and college certificates from my parents' house yesterday I came across a box of paperwork and notes and photos from my university years.  Not a big box.  If I'd had a big box of notes I might have got a better degree.  I was instantly lost in the past.  I found letters from friends, pictures from digs I'd been on, and other bits and pieces.  Letters expressing condolences for the first friend I'd ever lost.  Letters from my oldest friend about her university experiences, and a letter from a very good friend and house-mate expressing deep concern that I might not return for the third year, as my second-year re-sits had gone badly.  I'd forgotten about that. I also found the reply to my complaint about disruption during one of the re-sits.  I had forgotten about that, too.  I suspect that was what kept me in.  I found a photo of a bearded, long-haired, thin archaeologist by a section of Roman road, and didn't immediately realise it was me.  I didn't look too bad, actually - I thought I'd spent the nineties looking like a knob.  There were copies of section drawings I'd done (surprisingly good) and lecture notes (shockingly bad).  And at the bottom of this box of reminiscence?  The sheet music for Yesterday.  I had a brief chuckle, piled everything back into the box, and set off for home in a more thoughtful mood.

6 comments:

  1. Willkommen! I love the phrase 'lost in the past'. There is nothing like reminiscing about university days to get yourself going 'In search of lost time', especially if you were lucky enough to have an amazing, multi-layered, life-changing experience like some people I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog through Sir Loci, above. First time I snuck a peek at the blogs that particular blogger follows and see I've found you right at the beginning. Quite nice.

    Favorite line:

    'I didn't look too bad, actually - I thought I'd spent the nineties looking like a knob.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Not quite the beginning, there was a false start on WordPress, but this one might stick with a but of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or even a bit of luck, which sounds far more pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Least it wasn't a butt of luck.

    ReplyDelete