Sunday 18 December 2011

Vaclav Havel

I've never been hugely political.  I don't mean I ignore politics or have no interest, but I settle for knowing what I think, and making sure that the person I vote for has the decency to at least pretend to speak for me.
But that's a position I can afford to adopt living in the UK.  I was fairly well aware, in my formative years, that a large chunk of nearby Europe didn't have the freedoms we did.  I feel lucky to be old enough to remember how big a deal it was when the Soviet hold over eastern Europe crumbled, with one country after another reclaiming their identity.
The one that really caught my imagination was Czechoslovakia. The idea that a playwright could take over where cold grey communism left off was inspiring and gave a real romantic edge to the change.
I've been to the Czech Republic a fair few times in the last ten years, and have only furthered my appreciation for what Vaclav Havel achieved in his second career.  If you've time to spare, I urge you to read this obituary from the Guardian.  He was an extraordinary man, and politics the world over needs more people like him.

4 comments:

  1. Hello:
    Like you, we have nothing but admiration for what Vaclav Havel achieved in his lifetime and, more latterly, for the significant part he played in the overthrow of a totally repressive, immoral regime such as existed in the Czech Republic.

    The relatively happy outcome for that country is not, alas, mirrored everywhere else and here, in Hungary, we have increasing cause to fear for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Hungary does seem to be suffering disproportionately economically. I confess to ignorance about the background and causes of that.
    A good obituary. So many personal eccentricities to comment on and so many illustrious deeds that it must be hard to do justice to such a life. However, this obituary manages to go some fair way towards that. It does make one realise that some people just comprise so much much more than the rest of us. Quite humbling really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An important post.

    But don't go into politics, as Ben suggests. Any man who won't watch a film, again, for fear of spoiling the pristine idea of a cardigan should not allow himself to be so ruined.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too must confess to ignorance of the politics of Hungary. Czechoslovakia, and latterly the Czech Republic, had geography on its side I think. Some of the other eastern bloc countries are more culturally remote, and their problems perhaps harder to relate to. Or maybe not. Good job I'm not in politics!

    ReplyDelete