Monday 14 November 2011

Cardigan

It was Peter O'Toole that did it.  He was in a film called High Spirits.  I only remember two important things about the film.  Firstly that it was crap, and secondly that Peter O'Toole wore a great cardigan.  I wanted a cardigan like that.  For years.  Eventually I got one.  Not the same, but close enough: long-ish, woolly, and with pockets big enough for the pipe I don't smoke.  I got it for my birthday some years ago, and there was a horrified look on the face of my sister's boyfriend when I unwrapped it. He assumed this was a classic piece of unsolicited knitwear from an aunt, and the look of horror intensified when I assured him I'd specifically requested it. 
I still have it, but either it's stretched a bit or I've shrunk.  Before this calamity I experimented with wearing it in the office, but they weren't ready for it and asked me to stop.
Now I just wear it at home, which it might be argued is just as it should be.  But it is still increasing in size and I think it might be time to go and get a new one before I trip over and fall into one of the pockets.  So this time I will find the closest match I can to the one in the film, or rather the one in the film in my head, because I can't ever watch it again for fear of spoiling the cardigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment